Divinity Atlas

Sacred Correspondences
Articles

Three Priests Find a Refuge on the Fanling Hillside

Articles

Citation Formats

General Reference

APA Style

BibTeX

Learn More
Three Priests Find a Refuge on the Fanling Hillside

This article records tradition as it has been passed down and reported. Its sources are not yet part of the atlas's verified catalogue.

Fung Ying Seen Koon was founded in 1929 on a hillside at Fanling, in Hong Kong's New Territories, by the Daoist priests He Jinyu and Chen Sikai, together with the senior priest Mai Xingjie, abbot of the Sanyuan (Triple Origin) Temple of Guangzhou. Mai travelled from Guangzhou, and the group, together with fellow Daoists who pooled resources to purchase the land, sought a holy place for secluded cultivation within the Quanzhen Longmen lineage of Taoism.

For its first two decades the temple operated without a formal administrative structure. That changed in 1950, when a Board of Directors and Advisors was established to administer Daoist practice, a step that put the temple's growing religious and charitable work under an organized governing body rather than leaving it to its founders alone.

Nearly a century after Mai Xingjie and his fellow priests purchased the Fanling hillside, Fung Ying Seen Koon continues to operate as an officially registered, non-profit charitable and religious body, still governed by the Board structure set in 1950 and still rooted in the Quanzhen Longmen lineage its founders brought from Guangzhou.

Cross-Tradition Connections

Article On

Sources
Comments (0)
No comments yet. Be the first to share a thought.
Reader Challenges (0 open reader challenges)
No disputes yet. Spotted an error or a better source? Open the first one.

View At A Past Year

The atlas records no dated fact of its own for this entry, so there is no other year to choose.