Custodians & Museums
State Tretyakov Gallery
Museums
Citation Formats
General Reference
APA Style
BibTeX
The principal museum of Russian art in Moscow, founded in 1856 when the merchant Pavel Tretyakov began collecting Russian paintings with the stated aim of one day giving them to the nation, and opened as a public gallery in 1893 after his 1892 donation of roughly two thousand works. It held Andrei Rublev's Trinity icon from the Soviet nationalisation of church property in 1929 until the icon's transfer to Christ the Saviour Cathedral in 2023, a move the gallery's own conservators publicly opposed on grounds of the icon's physical fragility.
Facts
Organisation
Institution Founded1856 (private collection); opened to the public in 1893 2 Governing BodyMinistry of Culture of the Russian Federation 2 Public Access Custody and Display
Relevant HoldingAndrei Rublev's Trinity icon, held from the 1929 Soviet nationalisation of church property until its 2023 transfer to Christ the Saviour Cathedral. 1 Cross-Tradition Connections
Associated With
Moscow, Cities This source names Moscow directly: "The principal museum of Russian art in Moscow, founded in 1856 when the merchant Pavel Tretyakov began collecting Russian paintings with the stated aim of one day giving them to the nation, and..."
Contained In
Formerly Housed
Sources
Reader Challenges (0 open reader challenges)
No disputes yet. Spotted an error or a better source? Open the first one.
Sign in to dispute this or suggest a correction.
View At A Past Year
The atlas records no dated fact of its own for this entry, so there is no other year to choose.