Abbot Suger on the Abbey Church of St.-Denis and Its Art Treasures pairs Erwin Panofsky's translation of Abbot Suger's own twelfth century writings on his rebuilding of Saint-Denis with Panofsky's own lengthy scholarly commentary, first published by Princeton University Press in 1946 and revised in a second edition by Gerda Panofsky-Soergel in 1979. Panofsky's commentary is the origin of the now standard account connecting early Gothic architecture, especially the use of light through stained glass, to a theology drawn from the writings attributed to Dionysius the Areopagite, read at Saint-Denis as the relics of its own patron saint. Its strength is that it puts Suger's own words in front of the reader alongside a close, historically grounded argument for what his building meant. Its limit is that the theology of light reading is Panofsky's own thesis about Suger's intent rather than a claim Suger states outright, and later scholarship has questioned how far Suger's own motives were philosophical at all; this atlas cites Peter Kidson's 1987 article as a supplementary source for that qualification wherever this source is cited for the light theology account. Minted 2026-08-09 to replace a citation of this material to a composite popular history source that never covered it; confirmed against the publisher's own catalogue listing and independent bibliographic records agreeing on title, author, publisher and both editions' years.
Facts
Assessment
Reliability Tier1
Tier one: a Princeton University Press monograph pairing Erwin Panofsky's translation of Abbot Suger's own writings with Panofsky's scholarly commentary, the origin of the now standard account connecting Gothic architecture's light to Dionysian theology. Its limit is that the theology of light reading is Panofsky's own thesis rather than a claim Suger states outright, which is why this atlas also cites Peter Kidson's 1987 article as a supplementary qualification wherever this source is cited for that account. NotesErwin Panofsky (ed. and trans.), Abbot Suger on the Abbey Church of St.-Denis and Its Art Treasures, Princeton University Press, 1946, second edition revised by Gerda Panofsky-Soergel, 1979. Panofsky's translation of Suger's own writings on the abbey, with his own extended commentary connecting its design to a Neoplatonic theology of light drawn from the tradition of Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite.
Citation
AuthorErwin Panofsky (editor and translator); revised by Gerda Panofsky-Soergel
PublisherPrinceton University Press
Publication Year1979
URLhttps://press.princeton.edu/books/paperback/9780691003146/abbot-suger-on-the-abbey-church-of-st-denis-and-its-art-treasures
Source TypeMonograph with translated texts
Cross-Tradition Connections
Associated With
This source names Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite directly: "drawn from the writings attributed to Dionysius the Areopagite, read at Saint-Denis as the relics of its own patron saint."
Claims Backed By This Source (10 claims)
This source backs 10 claims across the atlas. As facts: 9 well-attested. As cited relationships: 1 holds.
Disposition By Topic
- Sources, 9 claims: 8 well-attested, 1 holds.
- Articles, 1 claims: 1 well-attested.
Reader Challenges (0 open reader challenges)
No disputes yet. Spotted an error or a better source? Open the first one.
Sign in to dispute this or suggest a correction.
View At A Past Year
The atlas records no dated fact of its own for this entry, so there is no other year to choose.