The manuscript the community called the Crown was written in Tiberias in the tenth century, and its vowel points, accents and marginal notes were supplied by Aaron ben Asher, the last of the great masoretic families. It is the most authoritative witness to the consonantal text, the vocalisation and the accentuation of the Hebrew Bible, and Maimonides, working in Egypt, named it as the model he had relied on for the rules of writing a Torah scroll, which settled its standing for every later scribe.
Its route to Aleppo ran through Jerusalem, capture by the crusaders, ransom by the Jews of Cairo, and eventual transfer north, where it was kept in an iron chest in a grotto of the Central Synagogue and shown only rarely. The community held that harm would come to anyone who removed it.
In December 1947, after the United Nations vote on partition, the synagogue was attacked and burned. The codex was believed destroyed. It reappeared, and in 1958 was carried to Israel, where it is now at the Israel Museum. About two fifths of it is missing, including almost the whole Torah, and what became of those leaves has never been established: theories run from destruction in the fire to removal by individuals at some point in the following decade, and an investigative account published in 2012 argued for the latter and named names, which the institutions concerned dispute. The atlas records the loss as unresolved rather than choosing a version.