Divinity Atlas

Sacred Correspondences
Sacred Sites

Pharos Chapel

Also Known As Church of the Virgin of the Pharos (English) Latin script. · Theotokos of the Pharos (English) Latin script. · Church of Our Lady of the Pharos (English) Latin script.
Christian (Byzantine) Sites

Citation Formats

General Reference

APA Style

BibTeX

Origin from 864

The Church of the Virgin of the Pharos (Theotokos of the Pharos) was the private chapel of the Byzantine emperors inside the Great Palace of Constantinople, beside the lighthouse (pharos) that gave it its name. From the ninth to the early thirteenth century it served as the central reliquary of the Christian East, holding the greatest collection of relics of the Passion assembled anywhere, including the Crown of Thorns, fragments of the True Cross, the Holy Lance and the two miraculous images of Christ known as the Mandylion (the Image of Edessa) and the Keramion. The chapel was lost after the Middle Ages and no trace of it survives above ground; it is treated here as a historical site.

Facts
Geography
Latitude
51.1 degrees north 2
Approximate reference point, rounded to one decimal place; this marks the site's general location for a map, not a survey-grade or precise boundary measurement.
Longitude
1.3 degrees east 2
Approximate reference point, rounded to one decimal place; this marks the site's general location for a map, not a survey-grade or precise boundary measurement.
Site
Type of Site
Church, cathedral or chapel 1
Type of Site Detail
Private chapel of the Byzantine emperors inside the Great Palace of Constantinople, the central reliquary of the Christian East from the ninth to the early thirteenth century, now lost without a trace above ground. 2
Attributions
Tradition
Christian (Byzantine) 1
Origins
Origin Period
from 864 3
Country
Turkey 1
Region
Anatolia and Asia Minor 1
Status
Status Today
Historical; not practised continuously 1
UNESCO World Heritage
Not Inscribed 4
Location
Location of Pharos Chapel Afghanistan Albania Algeria Angola Argentina Armenia Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Benin Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Brazil Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burundi Cabo Verde Cambodia Cameroon Canada Chile China Colombia Costa Rica Croatia Cuba Cyprus Czech Republic Democratic Republic of the Congo Denmark Dominican Republic Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Estonia Eswatini Ethiopia Federated States of Micronesia Fiji Finland France French Polynesia Gabon Georgia Germany Ghana Greece Guam Guatemala Haiti Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran Iraq Ireland Israel Italy Ivory Coast Jamaica Japan Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kuwait Laos Latvia Lebanon Libya Lithuania Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Mali Malta Mauritius Mexico Moldova Mongolia Morocco Mozambique Myanmar Namibia Nepal Netherlands New Zealand Nigeria North Macedonia Norway Oman Pakistan Palestine Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Romania Russia Rwanda Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Samoa Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands South Africa South Korea South Sudan Spain Sri Lanka Sudan Suriname Sweden Switzerland Syria Taiwan Tanzania Thailand Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom United States Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Vatican City Venezuela Vietnam Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe
Learn More
The Reliquary of the Empire

From the ninth century to 1204 the Pharos chapel functioned as the spiritual treasury of the Byzantine state, holding what was arguably the greatest concentration of Christian relics ever gathered in one room. Successive emperors added to it: by the mid-tenth century it held a portion of the True Cross and the Holy Lance; the Mandylion arrived in 944, the arm of John the Baptist in 945, the sandals of Christ and the Keramion in the 960s, the letter of Christ to Abgar in 1032.

By the late twelfth century visitors listed the Crown of Thorns, a Holy Nail, Christ's clothes and purple mantle, the reed and sponge of the Passion and a piece of the tombstone. Ambassadors and pilgrims who were admitted described the chapel as a foretaste of heaven, and the emperors staged elaborate ceremonies around the relics that bound the sacred history of Christ to the legitimacy of their rule. Because the relics were kept together and displayed as a set, the chapel became, in the words of modern scholarship, a "New Jerusalem", an attempt to relocate the holy places of the Passion to the imperial capital.

The Mandylion, the Image of Edessa

The most famous of the chapel's images was the Mandylion, a cloth bearing the face of Christ that Byzantine tradition held was not painted by any human hand, an acheiropoieton. Its legend told of King Abgar of Edessa, who wrote to Jesus asking for healing and received in return a cloth miraculously imprinted with his features.

Kept for centuries at Edessa in Mesopotamia, the image was ceremonially transferred to Constantinople in 944 amid great celebration and installed among the Passion relics in the Pharos chapel, together with the Keramion, a roof-tile said to bear the same face. The Mandylion shaped the standard Byzantine way of depicting the face of Christ and became a model for icons across the Orthodox world. It disappeared during or after the Latin sack of 1204 and was never securely traced again; various later objects, including a cloth once at the French royal chapel and lost in the Revolution, have been proposed as the same image, and some writers have even linked the Mandylion to the Shroud of Turin, though no such identification is established. In this atlas the Image of Edessa is recorded as a lost artifact last securely attested here, at Constantinople.

1204 and the Dispersal to the West

The Fourth Crusade's capture and sack of Constantinople in 1204 ended the chapel's role as guardian of the relics. In the chaos and the Latin occupation that followed, the treasures were dispersed. The Passion relics passed into the hands of the Latin emperors of Constantinople, who, desperate for money, pledged them to Venetian financiers; in 1239 King Louis IX of France redeemed the Crown of Thorns and, over the following years, a large group of associated relics, paying vast sums and building the Sainte-Chapelle in Paris expressly to enshrine them.

In this way the heart of the Pharos collection travelled from Constantinople to Paris, where the surviving Crown of Thorns is now kept at Notre-Dame. The chapel itself, part of the Great Palace, fell into ruin along with the rest of that complex over the later Byzantine and Ottoman centuries, and today nothing of it remains standing; its location within the palace precinct near the Sea of Marmara is known only approximately. The Pharos chapel therefore survives only in texts and in the relics that once passed through it.

Cross-Tradition Connections

Associated With

Source Encyclopedia of ReligionMircea Eliade (ed.); Lindsay Jones (ed., 2nd ed.)

Belongs to Tradition

Contained In

Formerly Housed

Translated to the Pharos relic chapel of the Byzantine emperors in 944; unrecorded after the 1204 sack.

Source The Image of EdessaMark Guscin
Sources
1. Sacred Relics and Imperial Ceremonies at the Great Palace of Constantinople
Holger A. Klein, BYZAS (German Archaeological Institute) / academic, 2006Relic collection and imperial ceremony
2. Encyclopaedia Britannica (online academic reference)
Encyclopaedia Britannica editors, Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc., 2024View the Source
3. A Byzantine Jerusalem: The Imperial Pharos Chapel as the Holy Sepulchre
Alexei Lidov, Ashgate / academic, 2012Chapel as Byzantine Holy Sepulchre
4. UNESCO World Heritage List
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, UNESCO World Heritage CentreView the Source
Comments (0)
No comments yet. Be the first to share a thought.
Reader Challenges (0 open reader challenges)
No disputes yet. Spotted an error or a better source? Open the first one.

View At A Past Year

Choose a year to see this entry's facts and connections as the atlas records them at that moment: what it held then, what it held instead, and what it had not yet adopted. Choose Present for the current record.