Divinity Atlas

Sacred Correspondences
Spread Events

Construction Begins on the Oyasato-yakata

Tenrikyo

Citation Formats

General Reference

APA Style

BibTeX

Origin from 1954

In 1954, the year Tenri City itself was formally established by the merger of six villages, Tenrikyo Church Headquarters began construction on the Oyasato-yakata, a building complex conceived to fulfil foundress Nakayama Miki's teaching that the ground around the sacred Jiba, the Home the Parent, would become the model of a Joyous Life for all humanity. Architect Onzo Okumura planned the complex as an incomplete square measuring roughly 873 meters, eight cho, on each side, following a scale the foundress herself had described, with sixty eight interconnected wings intended eventually to ring the Jiba entirely. The Oyasato Construction Young Men's Association Hinokishin Corps organized that same year to carry out the building work as a form of voluntary religious service rather than paid labor. Completed sections have gone on to house Tenri University, Tenri Hospital, Tenri Seminary, Tenri High School, the Sankokan Museum and lodging for visiting followers, so that a project begun as postwar reconstruction became infrastructure for the faith's teaching, medical and educational work. The project continues today, still short of its full sixty eight wings.

Facts
Dates
Start Year
from 1954 1
Status
Established 1
Established marks this 1954 start of construction on the Oyasato-yakata at Tenri, a distinct architectural undertaking from the 1945 to 1966 doctrinal restoration removing State Shinto ideology already recorded here, and earlier than the 2011 disaster relief response to the Great East Japan Earthquake already recorded here.
Cross-Tradition Connections

Associated With

Jiba, Sacred Sites

This source names Jiba directly: "that the ground around the sacred Jiba, the Home the Parent, would become the model of a Joyous Life for all humanity."

Occurred In

Spread Event Of

Tenrikyo, Religions

Adds a specific, dated institutional milestone between the postwar doctrinal restoration completed by 1966's declaration that Tenrikyo is nothing but Tenrikyo already recorded here and the 2011 disaster relief response to the Great East Japan Earthquake already recorded here: the 1954 start of construction on the Oyasato-yakata, the building complex Tenrikyo Church Headquarters continues to build around the sacred Jiba at Tenri today.

Sources
Comments (0)
No comments yet. Be the first to share a thought.
Reader Challenges (0 open reader challenges)
No disputes yet. Spotted an error or a better source? Open the first one.

View At A Past Year

Choose a year to see this entry's facts and connections as the atlas records them at that moment: what it held then, what it held instead, and what it had not yet adopted. Choose Present for the current record.